Missing journalists ordered freed in Libya

Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has ordered the release of three journalists missing in Libya, including two working with Agence France-Presse and a Getty Images photographer, Getty said on Tuesday.
"We at Getty Images are delighted to learn that Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi has ordered the release of our staff photographer, Joe Raedle, along with Roberto Schmidt, staff photographer with Agence France Presse and David Clark, a reporter with Agence France Presse," the agency said in a statement.
AFP photographer Roberto Schmidt arrives at Rixos hotel after he was released by the Libyan government in Tripoli March 23, 2011. 
"We are grateful to those involved that helped to secure the group's release and we will continue to support the work our photojournalists undertake to document news events," Getty added.

AFP said on Sunday that Clark, a reporter based at its Paris headquarters, and Schmidt, a photographer in its Nairobi bureau, had not been heard from since they sent an e-mail to senior editors on Friday evening.
Raedle had also not been heard from since Friday night, AFP said.
Libya released four New York Times journalists on Monday, nearly a week after they had been captured by Libyan forces while covering the conflict there.

No comments:

Post a Comment